Thursday, August 28, 2008

False Alarm



The little guy certainly made us think he wanted to come early this past weekend. I had the privilege of staying in the hospital for a few days and being treated for preterm labor. There are 2 things that I really don't like: IVs and know-it-all residents. In order to give everyone a fair chance at the guessing game (please join!), I'll share a few facts or comments from the docs.

1) He'll be okay even if he's born tomorrow. It's not too early for good health.
2) Some women who deal with pre-term labor end up being induced when they are overdue.
3) I'm among the lucky 20% of first-time moms who feel contractions before labor.
4) The treatment I had stopped labor at 3 cm, they commented that they have patients going around for weeks at 1 - 5 cm.
5) There is no statistical difference in outcomes for people who are put on bed rest vs. everyday activity regarding preterm labor.
6) I don't believe the baby has "dropped" because breathing is still somewhat challenging.
7) They think he weighs at least 4 pounds at this point.
8) Is my sense of urgency about getting ready for baby because of the "false alarm", or is this "nesting"?

That's all I can think of that might be helpful. I'm not going to put a guess out there because I don't want to falsely convince myself that he'll be coming in any particular timeframe. We'll be taking it one day at a time! I don't know if the game image will work to link you to it, so here's the real link... http://www.expectnet.com/games/falsealarm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're back home / at work (?) We're thinking about you in Ely ;)
- H. & T.

Anonymous said...

A couple of the more memorable resident-moments for us were "How many contractions per minute are you having? (Contractions per minute? Is that like RPMs?), and one rather dopey looking one staring at my wife while she was on the bedpan. Um, thanks. The seasoned nurse snapped at him, and said "Go make yourself useful and get some blankets or something". One turned green and nearly passed out at the sight of blood. Maybe he'll end up in dermatology or something.
Glad to hear all is going well for you three! Dave P.