Thursday, August 28, 2008
The little guy certainly made us think he wanted to come early this past weekend. I had the privilege of staying in the hospital for a few days and being treated for preterm labor. There are 2 things that I really don't like: IVs and know-it-all residents. In order to give everyone a fair chance at the guessing game (please join!), I'll share a few facts or comments from the docs.
1) He'll be okay even if he's born tomorrow. It's not too early for good health.
2) Some women who deal with pre-term labor end up being induced when they are overdue.
3) I'm among the lucky 20% of first-time moms who feel contractions before labor.
4) The treatment I had stopped labor at 3 cm, they commented that they have patients going around for weeks at 1 - 5 cm.
5) There is no statistical difference in outcomes for people who are put on bed rest vs. everyday activity regarding preterm labor.
6) I don't believe the baby has "dropped" because breathing is still somewhat challenging.
7) They think he weighs at least 4 pounds at this point.
8) Is my sense of urgency about getting ready for baby because of the "false alarm", or is this "nesting"?
That's all I can think of that might be helpful. I'm not going to put a guess out there because I don't want to falsely convince myself that he'll be coming in any particular timeframe. We'll be taking it one day at a time! I don't know if the game image will work to link you to it, so here's the real link... http://www.expectnet.com/games/falsealarm